[MLB-WIRELESS] OT: network webcam?

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 26 13:30:50 EST 2004

I have gotten USB to work to a maximum length of 12 metres.  I used a Belden
data cable with two pairs, a foil shield and a drain wire.  Any longer than
12 metres didn't work.  With USB it does matter what type of cable you use.
I tried to use shielded single-piar heavy-duty microphone cable to run USB
data and the max. length I got was about 8 metres.

As far as running a USB webcam over Cat 5 - you can get USB extenders that
extend the USB signal over a Cat5 cable.  Here's an example:
http://www.zantech.com.au/icron/rover1650.html
and another
http://www.downtown.com.au/new1248.htm
The one from downtown costs $119.

The above examples are not an Ethernet solution however.  They simply extend
USB to plug into a PC's USB port.  I know of no simple device that connects
a USB device to a Ethernet LAN.  The ASUS WL-500g has USB Host ports,
meaning you can plug webcams into it.
http://www.asus.com/products/communication/wireless/wl-500g/overview.htm
It is a wireless router, and runs Linux Inside (TM).  Possibly a bit
expensive and complicated for what you want to do though.

>From: "Winder" <winder at iinet.net.au>
>To: <joe.hovel at med.monash.edu.au>, <melbwireless at melbournewireless.org.au>
>Subject: RE: [MLB-WIRELESS] OT: network webcam?
>Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:06:42 +1000
>
>Hey Joe,
>
>  I'm looking at doing something like this, to put a camera ontop of my
>mast.
>I'm wondering if a USB webcam and a USB print server would do the trick.
>Either that or I find a way to get USB to work over 10 meters....
>
>Regards,
>g at z.

10,000 children need sponsors – change a life:
http://ad.au.doubleclick.net/clk;9294008;9739733;y?http://www.worldvision.com.au/childsponsorship/search/child_search.asp?om=1