[MLB-WIRELESS] All quiet on the Wireless front....

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 3 23:45:57 EST 2004

Hi Andrew, All,

I've been trying to compile WRT54G firmware for myself but have hit a
few hurdles.  Have sort of given up for now, but I'll try again soon and
post my symptoms.

I've been thinking a lot about the essential applications a Melbourne
Wireless routing node needs, and how to get these into a WRT54G
firmware.  I want to make it as easy as possible for non-linux-geeks to
get involved in the network.

I've noticed the new Sveasoft firmware has some interesting features,
including a wireless client mode that swaps the internal network
interfaces so that the wireless interface is treated as if it was the
WAN interface.  It's not at a point yet where you could satisfactorily
set up a Melbourne Wireless node entirely via the web interface, but
it's getting closer.  Certainly it is possible via the command line if
you've got some linux experience.

Has anyone got any suggestions for default settings in a firmware for
the WRT54G?  I'd like to see these things working:

* OSPF working on the WAN and Wireless interfaces, with separately
settable area IDs for each interface...

* The latest version of Quagga ported to the WRT54G, Sveasoft is using
Zebra 0.92-something.

* NoCatSplash or Chillispot Captive portals, with a nice Melbourne
Wireless information webpage that pops up when someone attempts to
access a web page in their browser

You can Telnet or SSH into the box and have a play.  The shell is quite
nice, it even has command completion (press TAB).  I do miss MC though.
:)

I don't think that it's a good idea to put a directional antenna on one
of the antenna connections and an omni on the other.  I don't think
antenna diversity works that way.  But certainly give it a test, and
post your results!  But I think you'd be better off connecting another
AP to one of the WRT54G's ports and using it as a client.

Dan

For