[MLB-WIRELESS] linux kernal q

Matt Boyd matthew.c.boyd at uts.edu.au
Mon Apr 26 11:14:27 EST 2004

Ditto with the bandwidth comment. I'm playing with mythtv and an
analogue tuner at the moment, files are approx 1.5gb for 30min. HDTV is
more than that as is SD (but probably not much according to people I've
asked).

As for running it over multiple hops I don't think it would work that
well.

Matt

On Mon, 2004-04-26 at 09:53, Jason Hecker wrote:
> Hrm,
>
> If you're using 802.11b I don't like your chances of keeping up any sort
> of SDTV or HDTV streaming transmission.  A good test is to try a DVD.
> The best bet is to use something like Smartripper or mplayer to rip a
> DVD VOB to a file and have the person at the receiving end be able to
> play the file fro myour hardddrive.  To get normal playback you need
> 7-9Mbit, depending on the DVD.  I think HDTV is well over 9MBit and
> standard definition will be anywhere from 2Mbit to 7Mbit - depending on
> the quality of encoding.  Foxtel off the satellite uses lower bitrates
> and it's very obvious - crappy images.  You might have better luck with
> a 54Mbit card.
>
> Anyway, a good mail order vendor of digital TV cards is
> http://www.digitalnow.com.au .
>

> rick wrote:
>
> > im looking into HD-TV cards to stream what ever im watching to whoever is
> > within a few hops of me on the network, now the cards i found sujest 2.6.2->
> > any diffrence between 2.4.teens ?
> >
> > or sould i leave my linux router as a 2.4.teens and run another boxen doing
> > the HD-TV?
> >

> > rick

> > with "unsubscribe melbwireless" in the body of the message

Senior Balloon Animal Artist