[MLB-WIRELESS] new node HRW

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 2 14:50:23 EST 2004

Hi Mark,

It just so happens that I've just finished doing a comparison of the
Receive Sensitivities of a Longreach 1w amp and the Dick Smith 500mW
amp.  I'll write up the results soon.  The Dick Smith amp isn't as noisy
as I'd expected.  In fact it seems to be just as quiet or even quieter,
reception wise, than the Longreach amp.  The Longreach amp does beat it
in the receive sensitivity stakes by a fair way - 16dB at least
improvement for the Longreach, about 10dB Rx improvement for the DSE
amp.  My previous posting about the transmit power showed the two amps
to be similar in power - as expected the Longreach is 3dB more powerful
- it is a 1 watt amp after all, compared to the DSE's 500mW.

The DSE amp seems pretty reliable, hasn't failed on me yet.  It's an
indoor amp - you can't mount it on a mast unless you put it in a
waterproof box and run power up the mast separately.  You could possibly
do some sort of Power-Over-Ethernet setup with the amp and an AP in the
same waterproof box if you were keen.  The DSE amp needs a 6v DC supply.

They are only available from Dick Smith New Zealand, the aussie stores
don't have them.  With the exchange rate, they cost about AUS$240, not
including postage (about AUS$20).  If we were to import any more than a
couple we might get customs duty and GST slapped on them though.

I'd say one of these amps in combination with a Minitar AP would make
quite a cheap yet powerful setup.

Just