[MLB-WIRELESS] Minitar specs

Jon Teh jon at unicomsystems.com
Tue Sep 30 16:00:12 EST 2003

On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 02:37:49PM +1000, Nick Grundy wrote:

> I was doing some research on the SVEC power output tweek.
> the stuff i read said it's a bad thing(tm).
>
> a SVEC outputs 15dbm/30mw of rf energy, which occupies 22Mhz of the 2.4ghz ISM band.
> when you modify them to 100mw then the output polutes the entire 2.4Ghz ISM band and
> it also has harmonics down in the MDS spectrum and up in the amatuer radio 2.4Ghz
> spectrum.
>
> The Minitar output 18dbm/40mw from the factory and only occupy 22Mhz of the ISM band.
> I wouldn't want to try and run a couple of hacked SVEC's within the same RF area, and I
> currently have 2 AP's and a ad-hoc link coming into/intersecting my property. It could
> be somewhat of a mess :/
>
> Personally I'm leaning towards using Minitar equipment due to the higher output levels
> and web config, SVEC's are a bitch to configure for those of us who use macs :)

Hi all,

The Minitar APs are an excellent buy in my opinion, they have 18dBm output
power, and are very compact units. so compact, they'll fit in the bottom
end of a slotted waveguide (not in the active area obviously).

The Minitars also run Linux. As in, when they ship, their 'firmware' is
actually Linux, so this leaves a lot of possibilities open for experimenting
as they come with a 200MHz CPU. I believe there is also serial port headers
on the circuit board, although I'd need the full RTL8181 datasheet with
pinout, which is not available on the Realtek site. The transciever IC
is an all in one Philips SA2400, with no IF. The RF section of the board
is very small.

The Minitar PCMCIA or pure PCI cards are a steal at about $53, too. They
should be able to run in AP mode using the Realtek drivers, especially
considering that's what the APs run.

Hope this helps,

-- Jon Teh