[MLB-WIRELESS] Enterasys/Roamabout cards AP registry hack

paul van den bergen pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
Thu Sep 4 12:30:44 EST 2003

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 11:59 am, Rusty Kau wrote:
> Hi Group,
>
> I have been using an Enterasys/Roamabout card from the group buy on
> Melbourne TIB for a while now and have discovered that by using a registry
> hack and changing a key APMODE to 1 under win2k, the card can behave as an
> AP.
>
> I have completed the hack, and the card is acting as a Base Station. From
> another wireless computer, netstumbler reports the card as an AP.
>
> I can associate to the card fine, signal strength is at 100%, but it doesnt
> want to send and recieve packets.
>
> Has anyone encountered this before, or know of a workaround ?
>
> Thanks in advance

I am not surprised at this...

The reason these cards are listed as not being able to act as an AP is because
they do not have the ability to do bridging internally.  So to get it to act
_like_ an AP, one would need to handle the packets in the OS software. I.e.
the OS or routing software etc. would have to decide what to do with the
incomming frames as the card cannot do this.  Just turning the flag in the
registry to on will not work because there is nothing in the card to actually
do the work, even though everything else is correctly lablelled as such...

In other words, the reason that the card cannot see or send traffic when set
as an AP is because the OS assumes the card is doing the work.... which it
isn't...

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures
pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
IM:bulwynkl2002
"And some run up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stones
to pieces wi' hammers, like so many road makers run daft.
They say it is to see how the world was made."
Sir Walter Scott, St. Ronan's Well 1824