[MLB-WIRELESS] FreeBSD and APs

paul van den bergen pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
Fri Oct 24 11:56:06 EST 2003

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:52 am, Jason Tedesco wrote:
> My testing with WiFi cards on a FreeBSD box was done a while ago, so it may
> be worth double checking what I say.
>
> You should be able to get Box 1 working with iwconfig.  Im pretty sure
> iwconfig uses the wavelan drivers which there should be a port for.
>
> Box 2.  It can be a little tricky getting a cisco card working in 4.8.  In
> 4.8 to get a cisco card working in Infrastructure mode you need to update
> AN(8), this can be done through CVS.  If you do an ifconfig -mediaopt an0
> (I think that command is wrong, I don't have a BOX to check on at the
> moment) it will display all the modes your card supports.  If hostap isn't
> in there, it aint going to work.
>
> Box 3 - Client set-up should be nice and easy.  Refer to the Freebsd
> Handbook for commands.
>
> I know in 5.1 most wifi cards work straight out of the box.  For more
> information the below link would be a very good starting point.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-wireless.
>html
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> #jason

and I was just about to post the answer too...

the section in the Handbook is excellent, steps you through it without hassle.

I was concerned that since I was doing ipv6 that the forwarding and bridging
would not work, but the bridging is at the ethernet level and the kernel
supports both v4 and v6 forwarding, so no hassles there...

an does not seem to have hostap capability atm...  so I have swapped over to
th other wi based card for the time being.

finally, now all I have to do is configure route6d and all should be well...
*sigh*

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures
pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
IM:bulwynkl2002
"And some run up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stones
to pieces wi' hammers, like so many road makers run daft.
They say it is to see how the world was made."
Sir Walter Scott, St. Ronan's Well 1824