[MLB-WIRELESS] [OT] Re: Australian Wireless Association AGM for 2003

Jamie Lovick jalovick at doof.org
Tue Oct 21 15:31:50 EST 2003

Hi,

To cover a few comments we have received about the proposed changes to
the AWAi rules to allow us to support commercial members, we would like
to clarify our reasoning for suggesting this. Any other queries will be
answered individually or via the wtf.net.au forums.

The Australian Wireless Association Inc. was formed for the purpose of
making life easier for community wireless networks around Australia by
being a hub of information between community wireless networks, vendors,
government, and the wireless industry. This was driven by an ambition to
make Wireless Networking accessible to the community and to simply get
people connected.

Since those beginnings, we increasingly have found that there has been
no one providing that same information resource to commercial entities,
as we have received an increasing amount of queries, and even
memberships from individuals within various wireless vendors,
implementers, and other companies. It has become obvious that this
information should be available to everyone, to enable everyone to
utilise wireless resources as effectively as possible, for both
community and commercial interests.

While the association has implemented some wireless infrastructure in
Sydney, its purpose is more to assist groups and individuals in their
goals to build Community Wireless Networks. By having commercial
members, it is not the intent to provide access to wireless networks,
but support in building networks and implementing wireless technology.

In being an association, the Australian Wireless Association Inc. has to
abide by rules of association. It has been suggested that we should make
Internet voting available. As already mentioned this is something that
will have to be voted upon and decided by members. As it requires a
section of our rules to be modified, it unfortunately cannot be
implemented for the 2003 AGM, but the proposed change will be added to
the agenda to be voted upon.

Keeping community interests in mind, we have put a lot of thought into
how to best implement a commercial membership. It is proposed that
companies will have the same voting rights as any individual or
group. An organization will be entitled to one vote in any item being
voted upon. So there should not be any issue of any company taking a
balance of power within the association, and community interests will
always be catered to as long as the community remains an active part of
the association. The suggestion of having company members having to
actively attend a certain amount of members can be looked at if this is
something the membership feels appropriate.

Having commercial members may also allow cross-pollination of ideas and
resources. A commercial member who is a vendor or manufacturer may wish
to provide special deals to members. Some wireless groups may find
issues with a particular product or feature. With vendors onboard,
feature requests may be considered more closely, if there is an obvious
need from a large group. There are many others possibilities such as
technical training, conventions, product information sessions, etc.

Even though this change has been proposed to be voted in by members at
the AGM, if members do not want the change to happen, it will not
happen. But we believe that expanding the support of both community and
commercial entities utilising wireless technology is a step forward.

Regards

Jamie Lovick
Public Relations Office
Australian Wireless Association Inc.