[MLB-WIRELESS] Need some help understanding a few things

Nick Sibbing nick.sibbing at arts.monash.edu.au
Mon Oct 20 10:47:12 EST 2003

Ryan Abbenhuys wrote:

> This is the best post to the list in ages!  :)

possibly one or too many uses of the  f word for a public list but
anyway

> Yes you need LOS to connect.  You need to find a way out of shit creek.
> Either by linking via others till you can get out, or sticking up a nice
> tall mast that allows you to get over the smallest hill around you to
> someone.

<snip>
> >I live a small bumfuckwest town called monbulk - now i am wanting to set
> >up a link to communicate with mkates in moorlbark (if you don't where this
>
> >is - it's at the base of mount dandy just past lilydale and kilsyth) now
> >the only problem with this- i  do not have line of site, as there is a
> >huge fuck off mountain (mount dandy) in my way of seeing melbourne - can i
>
> >use the communication towers on mount dandy to relay my signal to them? or

<snip>

Tim
good post, to add to Ryan's reply you do need line of site and to get to
Mooroolbark is going to be a challenge. You'll need a chain of nodes to
get it to work.

But on the plus side this is exactly what MW is all about and there are
people betwen you and Mooroolbark that are interested and will help you.
I'm in Montrose and there are a few interested people on that side of
the mountain.

There is a node just below the ridge line near Kalorama 5ways who might
be able to get line of sight to Monbulk approx 7-8 km link is very
feasible. At least in country areas like Monbulk people are less likely
to be upset by tall masts. Finding a someone with a view both ways over
that ridge in Kalorama is the big challenge but not impossible

I don't think node GHO on Mt Dandenong is any good to you as I don't
think it can see back towards Monbulk. But the same process they used to
find that site might be helpful. Ie find the perfect location with views
both side of Kalorama ridge (assuming thats where the best spot is) and
then use lots of tact to approach householders to see if they will help
out. MW has business cards that can be used to add credibility in this
sort of approach. Another line of enquiry is that both Monbulk and
Mooroolbark are in the Shire of Yarra Ranges with a bit of lobbying the
council might give us access to sites for a repeater. I discussed this
with the council over a year or so ago but MW was still in its infancy
and it went no further.

So its difficult but not impossible (and fun)

Regards
Nick Sibbing