[MLB-WIRELESS] Serial to ethernet?

Tyson Clugg tyson at wireless.org.au
Sun Oct 19 14:44:52 EST 2003

> Is there any programs around that would allow me to re-direct the serial
> port on the remote PC along my LAN and WLAN...

    gpsd:
    -----
    	gpsd is a daemon that will monitor a serial port for messages sent by
    	a GPS device and broadcast it on a TCP port (actually, it broadcasts
    	anything that comes in on the serial port, so you could use gpsd to
    	do an internet broadcast the output of any device: an atomic clock,
    	an acquisition device, etc...).

It's a part of the gps3d package, get it from:
http://www.mgix.com/gps3d/

...OR...

     wconsd is a serial console server for Windows NT/2k/XP. It maps local
     com ports to an IP socket and makes it accessible with any TCP/IP
     terminal. I use it with PuTTY to set up routers when no IP address is
     assigned... PuTTY just feels better than Hyperterminal or TeraTerm;)

Download the compiled binaries:
http://www.h07.org/releases.php?show=system

Or grab the source:
http://www.greenend.org.uk/steve/software/wconsd.c

...OR...

Some unix apps to check out (marked in red for your convenience):

    $ apt-cache search serial | grep serial
    pilot-link-perl - Perl tools to communicate with a 3COM Pilot PDA over a serial port.
    ckermit - A serial and network communications package.
    classpath-tools - Free 'javah', 'javap', 'serialver' equivalents
    cwdaemon - Morse daemon for the parallel or serial port
    cyclades-serial-client - Network Serial port client software for Cyclades terminal servers
    eep24c - read and write serial I2C eeprom devices
    eql - load balancing tool for serial network connections
    gkermit - A serial and network communications package
    gloo - Two-way pipes and serial/network to STDIO pipes
    gtkterm - A simple GTK+ serial port terminal
    libdevice-serialport-perl - Perl module for interacting with serial ports.
    libhdf5-serial-1.6.0-0 - Hierarchical Data Format 5 (HDF5) - runtime files - serial version
    libhdf5-serial-dev - Hierarchical Data Format 5 (HDF5) - development files - serial version
    minicom - friendly menu driven serial communication program
    ser2net - Allows network connections to serial ports
    setserial - Controls configuration of serial ports
    snooper - Captures communication between two external serial devices
    sredird - RFC 2217 compliant Telnet serial port redirector
    statserial - Displays serial port modem status lines
    ttylog - serial port logger
    ttysnoop - TTY Snoop - allows you to spy on telnet+serial connections
    upsd - UPS Monitor Program via serial interface
    wmx10 - Control X10 home automation modules via a firecracker CM-17A X10 serial dongle
    xtoolwait - Allows to start X applications serially
    serialmail-src - tools for passing mail across serial links (source)
    plptools - Access a Psion PDA over a serial link
    conserver-server - connect multiple user to a serial console with logging

Cheers,
Tyson.