[MLB-WIRELESS] RG-1000 - Problem with Modem Link

Fenn Bailey fenn_b at smktech.com.au
Thu Oct 16 14:36:07 EST 2003

OK, well.. bit of a weird problem. I just started using my RG-1000 as a
dialup net gateway a few days ago, and although I've got no real clue what
would cause your particular problem (though it _sounds_ like MTU issues
which theoretically shouldnt' happen on dialup at all), I found that the
java RG-1000/Airport configuration utility (called "Airport configurator"
from memory) allows you to see/set a whole lot more parameters on the
internal modem.

I know that doesn't really answer your question at all, but it might help
you track down the problem (though I can't really see how). The hanging on
the "." really sounds like a bigpond mailserver problem, but why it would
only happen via the RG-1000 has me completely and utterly baffled.

The _only_ thing that springs to mind would be something to do with the
TCP/IP implementation on the RG-1000 working with Bigpond's mailservers.
Using the laptop, the requests would be generated by whatever OS you're
using on your machine. If you're speaking via the gateway, you're being
NAT'd which means that the TCP requests are being generated by the internal
TCP/IP stack native to the RG-1000. No idea really how you'd fix it, but
that's my only real theory.

Good luck tracking it down (and sorry I couldn't help you any more),

	Fenn.