[MLB-WIRELESS] Wireless connection of 2 wired networks

Allan Nelson allan-nelson at oxley.vic.edu.au
Wed Oct 15 08:28:08 EST 2003

Has anyone got any documents or how to's or know of any on, how to setup
a wireless link to connect 2 wired networks together.

The situation, at my workplace, we have a large wired network. The
property that my work is on is rather large, and there is an office in
the back corner of the property. It is about 500 meters away, and needs
to be part of the network.

I do not want it to have different IP address or stuff like that, i
would like it to be as if it was connected by cable, even though it will
be connected by a wireless link.

I have 2 laptop's 2 wireless cards (avaya gold) and 2 network cards.
1 laptop will have a network card plugged into the large wired network,
then it will have a wireless card linking to the 2nd laptop.

The second laptop will have the wireless card connecting to the other
card, and the network card plugged into the smaller network.

Both laptops will be running linux/bsd whichever is better for the
job.

I think what i am after is a wireless bridge. With wired networks i
know i can do this using a computer 2 network cards and some software
(IPF on BSD), but can this be done on wireless stuff? With the wired
ones, you dont even have to give the computers IP addresses.

Does anyone know how this can be done, if this can be done, and if so,
point me in the direction of some documents.

Thanks for your help

Allan

Oxley College
Network Administrator