[MLB-WIRELESS] the problem with wireless networks...

paul van den bergen pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
Mon Oct 13 17:08:47 EST 2003

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 03:14 pm, Ryan Abbenhuys wrote:
> This is pretty much the defense I've always taken when I'm arguing with
> people who are going down the magical wireless mesh path.

Yes, I thought you'd like it...

I am impressed by the site because it is very clearly articulated exactly what
the problem is...

IMHO, wired or highly directional wireless backbone + low power (local) omni
APs would make a nice 2-teir heirachical or loosely meshed network... and
IMHO loosely meshed is best.

if we could work up a set of standard proceedures to allow people to optimise
their own part of the link that would be great.

the only thing I thought the site should have mentione but didn't is that the
data rate versus distance decays to the inverse square of distance...

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures
pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
IM:bulwynkl2002
"And some run up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stones
to pieces wi' hammers, like so many road makers run daft.
They say it is to see how the world was made."
Sir Walter Scott, St. Ronan's Well 1824