[MLB-WIRELESS] ACA discussion paper

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Fri Oct 10 12:43:13 EST 2003

> usage.  I beleive most Wifi users are more into the
> networking/computer
> side of things rather than the RF side.  If they were *that* much
> interested in the RF side they would probably go to the
> effort to get a
> radio license and join a amatuer radio club....rather than a
> computer nerd
> club as melbwireless is primarily.

Hmm, why is it then that I spend most of my amateur time writing shell
scripts?  There's a lot more to amateur radio than simply talking.  There's
a whole lot of stuff that's interesting to computer geeks as well - VoIP,
routing, data transmission, etc, etc.  Some of the issues facing MW are the
same ones that packet radio faces.

The fact that I'm also a computer/network geek has had a dramatic impact on
how I play ham radio.  The only reason ham radio came first is because the
Internet wasn't generally available to home tinkerers in OZ in 1988. :-)

Had I been born 15 years later, perhaps the progression would have been the
reverse, and I'd have been asking Mark what this "ham thing" was all about,
while working on my wireless links. :)

> I think if there's going to be any crossover it's mostly
> going to be the
> other direction with HAM's wanting to use Wifi gear because
> they're into
> computers as well.  In which case they've already got the license.

There is definitely some of that as well.