[MLB-WIRELESS] AP Box cooling

Winder winder at iinet.net.au
Fri Oct 3 23:47:47 EST 2003

Damn it!

 Now I've gotten all paranoide about the AP on my roof. Now I'm going to
have to pull it down and try and do something a bit more fancy than a large
thick chunk of iron and thermal paste between the case and the board to keep
it cool over the summer.

 Option 1: Get a bigger box. Then I'll glue the current plastic pole cap to
the bottom of the box and drill holes in it so I can run the cables down the
inside of the antenna pipe. Then I could either leave the holes open to let
air in and out from inside the roof, or I could run some pipes up it. Maybe
a supply and return pipe and then either an pump air or go all geeky and run
a water pump and have a water cooled AP. With the bigger box I can add a few
colour CMOS cameras so I can watch the footy / cricket on the oval behind
us, and watch the kids at the same time and also spy on the neighbours from
the comfort of my PC or TV. I could cut out a section of the case and add a
window. Add some flashy lights etc and get the wiremesh antenna chromed.
Mybe even a temperature controlled external water spray system. Fully sick
mate.

 Option 2:  Cut a big hole in the current box and silicon in some sort of
heatsink and attach the AP board to it, with a cover on the outside to stop
direct sunlight.

 Or to make Ryan happy, Option 3: I'll cover the thing in wood, round off
the edges, stain it and polish it up so it looks all pretty. Ahhhh modern
technology and chemicals mixed with good old natural wood.... gotta love
that.

Regards,
g at z.