[MLB-WIRELESS] OT-ish: the myth of spectrum scarcity

John Dalton john.dalton at bigfoot.com
Tue May 20 11:48:10 EST 2003

> "Interference is a metaphor that paints an old limitation of
> technology as a fact of nature."

On the research front, things seem to be heading towards the fundamental
limits being Bit/s/Hz/(unit volume, possibly in wavelengths).  Not Bit/s/Hz,
as predicted by the version of Shannon's Law one is taught as
an undergraduate.  This is still conjecture.

Incidentally going way out on a limb, to me, Bit/s/Hz/(unit volume) seems
to have a nice 'quantum electrodynamical' feel about it.  Almost as if
information theory can be related to the fundamental properties of the physical
world in which we live.  It just feels right (but I'm probably wrong! :-) ).

Regards
John