[MLB-WIRELESS] Node GHO - ROCKS!

darrend at ndpgroup.com.au darrend at ndpgroup.com.au
Wed May 14 22:47:48 EST 2003

Ryan is correct in that GHO will be locked down after the testing phase.
It's primary purpose is to interconnect/backbone existing AP's and to
hopefully 'stimulate' the growth of more interconnected local AP's.

It is possible in the future that we may have a second AP and/or site up
there that can act as a client access node, but that will depend on the
success of this AP and a few other factors.

This site is on a trial basis as there was no pre-existing relationship
with the property owner (just some guy whose door we knocked on!). We hope
that over the comming months that a relationship with Melbourne Wireless
will grow and we can negotiate to make it a long term site.

Many of you may have heard of some rather impressive distances achievied
from this AP (some even over 40km). But as we all know, seeing an AP in
netstumbler/kismet and actually associating and sustaining reasonable
transfer rates are 2 different things. Hopefully over the next few weeks
we can get a clear picture of what distances are realistically attainable.

There is a FTP server on 192.168.0.1  If you are able to associate, please
email me with details of your location (locfinder id will do), equipment
used, connection quality aswell as an indication of both upload and
download performance on the ftp. Please don't use it to transfer large
files (ie > 2MB) during this testing phase so we can get reasonably
accurate remote test results

Also, forgot to mention... Thanks to Steve Tossell for his assistance in
remote testing during the initial deployment (and re-deployments) of the
AP's.

Darren Dreis
Vice President
Melbourne Wireless Inc.