[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: [WG-Routing] ap ip numbers.

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Mon May 12 12:45:57 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-05-12 at 09:10, Jason Brice wrote:
> Nice. thats almost exactly the system i use. except for 20 or so IP's
> reserved for printers.

I use something similar, except we use dedicated IP's for services;
www.<somedomain> ftp.<somedomain> etc, and then give the actual servers
their own IP as well <somehost>.<somedomain>. This way the services can
be moved between hosts by moving the IP aliases, but you can still get
to a specific host if you want to. This requires a seperate chunk of
numbers for services as well as hosts.

I also tend to think in hex, so I favor non-decimal break points, which
also happens to work nice if you need to subnet things.

1	default gateway
0/28 1-15	router or special devices
16/28 17-31	server hosts

32/28 33-46 is for services
33   ns.<domain>
34   ntp.<domain>
35   mail.<domain>
36   news.<domain>
37   www.<domain>
37   wpad.<domain> #auto-proxy service alias for www
38   ftp.<domain>
39   proxy.<domain>
40   ldap.<domain>
etc.

48/28 49-62 is for secondary services.. just add 16
49   ns2.<domain>
50   ntp2.<domain>
51   mail2.<domain>
52   news2.<domain>
53   www2.<domain>
54   ftp2.<domain>
55   proxy2.<domain>
etc.

64/26 65-127 is for DHCP clients

128/26 129-191 is also for DHCP clients

192/26 193-255 is for special hosts or devices.

Donovan Baarda                http://minkirri.apana.org.au/~abo/