[MLB-WIRELESS] Melbwirelses DNS and Domain Names

Ryan Abbenhuys sneeze at alphalink.com.au
Mon May 12 15:59:23 EST 2003

What happens if someone uses a proper address, say www.wantirna-ap1.net.au
which resolves to 10.10.128.1 by using the wireless.org.au box, but then
someone out on the net starts using that IP address for a real site.
Is that possible?

How do we work out where the DNS server goes?  If we use a DNS on
wireless.org.au for resolving real domains, and wireless domains, it means
people have to be connected to the internet at the time to resolve anything
on the wireless side. Am i on the right track there?
So these people would have to change their DNS to one on the wireless
network when they aren't dialed into the internet so they can resolve
wireless network addresses.

Would it be best to get volunteers with 24/7 internet connections to run
DNS servers for each region that allow people to resolve wireless network
domains and also internet domains?

>On Mon, 2003-05-12 at 15:28, Ben Holko wrote:
>> well with whatever names you use, like a.b.c.f.g.h.y.e.e.d.mw - how will
>> other people resolve it?
>>
>> I'm not pointing my boxes at internal DNS machines, I'll use my ISP.
>
>That is by far the best point made today.  Using a .mw (or whatever)
>suffix is just going to over-complicate things.  Who here wants to talk
1000
>people through adding/munging their bind hints file, or wrestle with the
MS