[MLB-WIRELESS] Melbwirelses DNS and Domain Names

Fenn Bailey fenn_b at smktech.com.au
Mon May 12 13:06:50 EST 2003

Exactly - I think people are getting confused with the concept of a public
DNS server and a DNS server serving public IP addresses.

It is quite common for primary DNS servers to answer queries with private
(or otherwise no-accessable IP space). ISPs use this technique quite
regularly to tunnel traffic within their own network without using up
valuable real IP space.

It would be stupid if you had, say, 6 interfaces on a router, all with host
names associated (say: fe0.core-r1.blah.com, fe1.core-r1.blah.com, etc,
etc), but because 2 of those interfaces are private, have them served by a
different DNS server?? It would make no sense at all...

I would hazard that we could (maybe _should_) use the current
wireless.org.au box as the primary, authoritive DNS for the melbwireless
namespace, and we can all setup search domains if we don't want to type in
long URLs :)

Even if we're using a private naming scheme, it is still possible (afaik) to
use a public DNS server to do this, it just needs to be configured to be
authorative for it.

	Fenn.