[MLB-WIRELESS] non wireless but linux

Rowan Crowe rowan at sensation.net.au
Sun May 11 21:43:26 EST 2003

On Sun, 11 May 2003, Alfred Shippen wrote:

>  Yes, ditch your current ISP, and take on a permanent modem
> connection. I used Telstra Bigpond Direct from 1998 - 2002 as a
> permanent connection with static IP assigned. (I now use an ADSL
> connection via TPG).
>
> Telstra's Bigpond direct cost me as little as $20 p/m (56k) with very
> low backchannel charges.

I'm not sure how you can consider BPD a viable alternative. Whilst other
large ISPs have dropped their per meg pricing (often by more than half) in
the past few years, Telstra are still offering the same high prices as
they were in 1997. The only difference is that as of July 2000 you pay an
extra 10% GST.

20.9c per meg is not competitive at all. Your $22 per month minimum will
only buy you 105Mb of inbound transfer.

Don't forget the $550 installation cost. (!!!)

Better to look at newer chimps, than old dinosaurs, IMHO. :)

Cheers.

--
Rowan Crowe - Melbourne, Australia
www.camrecord.com  www.camdiscover.com  www.heyasl.com  www.sensationbot.com