[MLB-WIRELESS] non wireless but linux

Stewart Park prakman at tpg.com.au
Sun May 11 18:15:24 EST 2003

On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 03:12:31PM +1000, Matthew Hill wrote:
> Gudday
>
> Sorry for the noob and slightly off camber q.
>
> Running redhat, i have my machine dialing up my isp for 56k internet,
> which works fine. but it has a 4 hour cut off, i want to automatically
> re connect upon disconnection.
>
> any ideas or help ?

Assuming it's still the same from RH7.1, under
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ there should be a file ifcfg-ppp0.
Three different thingamajigs you need, each on their own line:
DEMAND=yes, PERSIST=yes, IDLETIMEOUT=600.

The DEMAND will allow the dialler to dial when you try to access the
Internet, PERSIST monitors the connection traffic, and drops the line
after IDLETIMEOUT seconds.

One caveat, though, your phone bills *will* go up!

Hope that helps.

--
Regards,
Stewart