[MLB-WIRELESS] Mast mounted wish list

John Dalton john.dalton at bigfoot.com
Sun Mar 23 22:51:41 EST 2003

> What we need to do is get someone like dlink onside, give us full technical
> specs (including firmware source) for the dwl900ap (140$) and write up a new
> firmware for it ...

Check out a recent thread titled BIPAC-743: ADSL, 802.11b, 4xEthernet,
dated 19th March 2003.  I started trying to do this, based around a
Billion modem, which I think is an OEM Conexant modem.

Summary of current status:
- Chip used: Conexant CX82340
- Processor: ARM940T
- Wireless MAC: Intersil PRISM 3
- Operating System Used: Wind River Systems' vxWorks
- Software has been written to unpack the firmware file
  to a hard disk.
- There seem to be two important files in the firmware
  archive: a compressed (deflated) vxworks binary and
  a straight binary bootloader.

The way forward is:

- Cross compile a version of 'objdump' from the GNU binary utilities,
  with options set to target the ARM instruction set, allowing
  the binary to be decompiled.
- Inflate and disassemble the vxworks binary.
- Locate the  Board Support Package (BSP) code within the
  vxworks binary.  The BSP is the hardware adaptation layer
  of vsworks.
- Reverse engineer each of the drivers in the BSP.
- Use this information to write down a memory map for the
  CX82340 chip.  (Note.  Everything to this point can also
  be achieved by obtaining documentation from Conexant.)
- Port uClinux to the ARM904T, if it has not been done
  already.
- Add MeshAP, IPsec, and whatever else you want to uClinux.
- Compile and upload.

I'm going to have to shelve this project soon, due to other commitments,
but anyone else is welcome to continue with it.

Regards
John