[MLB-WIRELESS] Mast mounted wish list

Tom Parker tparker at netspace.net.au
Sat Mar 22 13:30:44 EST 2003

Hi,

> > Have the RF connector mounted in the top of the box so that you
> can screw a
> > small omni directly to the top of the unit without having to use any
> > expensive LMR cable.
>
> I really dont like that idea at all. I dont think most boxes would be
> robust enough to handle the leverage a wind loaded omni could generate. I
> know signal pwr doesnt grow on trees but a small length of cable like a
> pigtail isnt going to have a dramatic effect on what you get to the
> antenna.

This will be hard too since most Omnis seem to have female N connectors on
them, I've never seen a panel mount male, but I might be wrong.

> > Industrial extended temperature range (-40 to +85 C) as this
> thing will be
> > up a pole anywhere from Australia to Norway. Dont think I have
> ever seen a
> > wireless card with this temp spec.

I've got a dlink 900ap in a metal box in full sun, it's been going fine all
summer.

My final word on this is to wait until you are ready to use the hardware
before you buy it.  Wireless is certainly a growing area, as are embedded
PCs running linux, in 6 months time the range of gear will be very different
(eg. we may have cheap APs that will run in Adhoc mode).

Cheers,
Tom