[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: Small Systems was BIPAC-743: ADSL, 802.11b, 4xEthernet

Tom Parker tparker at netspace.net.au
Thu Mar 20 07:49:47 EST 2003

Jason,

> OpenAP is able to run Linux as it uses an out of production AMD embedded
> 486 which hooks up the serial port and ethernet chip off an ISA bus and
> the Orinoco (?) wireless card off the 16 bit PCMCIA bus - so drivers would
> have worked out of the box pretty much.

I did a show and tell of my OpenAP system at the last meeting.  Yes, the
drivers work out of the box (the only really special thing about this
distribution is the alios bios-less boot loader).  It is worth noting that
this chip (AMD ELAN SC400) is a 486 clone - but it doesn't have an mmu
either.  The distribution turns on the old mmu emulation from the 386SX
days.

www.soekris.com has some good value ELAN 520 based boards with compactflash,
mini-pci and pcmcia sockets for around the $US170 mark.  Perhaps a few of us
could do a builk buy of these?  Their prices come down nicely in quantity.
The 4511 has a single pcmcia slot, the 5421 has two.  THIS IS US DOLLARS!!!
Note that 10% GST would be added on arrival in Australia.

                                  1     2-4  5-24  25-99  100+  Stock
15451120  net4511-20 Board only  $189  $181  $175  $170  $164
15452130  net4521-30 Board only  $223  $214  $207  $200  $193

Note: Quantity pricing are for total number of net45xx in an order.

Cheers,
Tom

ps. one of the Australian Vendors posted over the last few days (can't find
the damn url) has stock of the USR2450 AP that will run openap.  Trouble is
they have a price of around $AU650 on them - sounds like old stock, perhaps
someone wants to make them an offer.