[MLB-WIRELESS] help with last mile in the country...

Jason Hecker jhecker at www.wireless.org.au
Mon Mar 17 16:34:14 EST 2003

Don't go overly complicated.  Get the line as close to the property as
possible that Telstra is satisfied with, say this (shed?) location.
Heopfully this location will have mains or some sort of power.

Get a DECT 900Mhz cordless phone.  Place the base unit at this location,
perhaps jury rig a high gain antenna pointing towards the house, say a
vertically polarised yagi.  With said DECT phone, buy a remote base unit
that allows you to simply recharge the handset in the house.  You can have
two or more DECT phones talking to the one base unit as well (I think...).

The 900MHz will probably work better than the 2.4GHz cordless phones,
especially through trees.  Dick Smith and Harvey Norman sell DECT phones.
Check 'em out.  Different brands of DECT phones are meant to be able to
interoperate with each other (walky talky style) and the a base unit from
what I remember the Dick Smith salesman told me.

I might be fantasizing, but I think some DECT phones allow you to plug a
modem into them too... (I could be wrong though - vague memories...)

If your Dad is within range of a Telstra GSM tower, Telstra have Ericsson
boxes that plug into a normal phone and allow you to use the GSM network
as a normal phone line.  A mate had one of these while he was waiting for
Telstra to wire his house up and he was charged landline phone rates and
has a normal eight digit number.

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Gabrielle Harrison & Paul van den Bergen wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a problem that needs solving...
> The telephone line comes to the edge of my fathers property. It costs $18/m
> to get it trenched onto the property. the logical place is 200 m away (that
> is $3600). and the current living area is some 3-400 m further!
>
> My first thought was:  wireless AP + 180 deg wave guide antenna + modem up
> a pole. and wireless connection wherever.  But that does fine for data, how
> can I do voice VoIP?
>
> so the first question is how to get the box-onna-pole to do telephone
> extension.
>
> second, in the 433 MHz band I know solutions like this should exist. Can
> anyone point me towards people who do this sort of stuff?
>
> Note:  the most important point is to get telephony connected to the
> property. I don't care if data (eg. ethernet, whatever) is under neath
> this, on top of this, or an independent add on later. (though all those are
> possible.)

Cheers,
jASON
--== http://www.wireless.org.au/~jhecker ==--