[MLB-WIRELESS] Wireless networking question

JaVa java.boy at optushome.com.au
Tue Mar 11 23:11:40 EST 2003

At 10:52 PM 11/03/2003 +1100, Joe Hovel wrote:

>However, when I put up my antenna and hook the AP into the local
>wireless group's network, then _all_ my traffic is going to "use up"
>bandwidth of the community wireless network, isn't it? And presumably so
>is everyone else's.... Many of the members at Bendigo Wireless have home
>or SOHO networks - so when they all connect, I'm not really expecting to
>have much usable bandwidth left....
>The only way I can think of preventing this is with (expensive) routers
>at all nodes, or wireless cards in PCs with routing OS.
>How is Melbourne Wireless managing this? Surely not everyone has and can
>afford a router????

I would think that hooking the AP directly to your local network would be a
huge security risk. When I hook up my wireless stuff I plan on adding it
into my router's (www.ipcop.org) Demilitarized Zone (DMZ). An old 486 or
above is perfectly adequate as a software router and should allow you to
isolate your wireless and define what is allowed to your green network and
vice versa.

JaVa
E-mail: java.boy@*NOSPAM*optushome.com.au
ICQ: 33544461