[MLB-WIRELESS] Hypothetical: takedown notices

Ben Anderson a_neb at optushome.com.au
Thu Mar 6 23:44:08 EST 2003

Why don't we simply _require_ encrypted communications, hopefully making
content irrelevant.  The data contained in encrypted communications is
almost impossible to prove without the key, as each possible key decrypts
the cyphertext into whole new potential content!

It's possible, for example, for there to exist a key that will decrypt my
encrypted home video of my daughters first words into an exact copy of an
mpeg of Madonna's latest video clip.  What does the encrypted communicaiton
contain?  Madonna, or my daughter?  Without the key, nothing, basically.
Hopefully absolving any and all carriers of said encrypted data of any
responsibility for the content.

Practically speaking, it'll prevent the takedown notice in the firstplace
due to the difficulty of obtaining proof, or even reasonable suspicion.  No
takedown notice, no test-case, no lawyers, no hastles, no worries :)

(it may upset the warez kiddies though, not having big, open, unencrypted
file-storage available...)

Ben.
P.S.  I'm not a lawyer.