[MLB-WIRELESS] Q: What do people want from Melbourne Wireless ?

julian julian at selectparks.net
Fri Mar 7 04:30:23 EST 2003

On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 11:23:42 +1100
vak <vak at alphalink.com.au> wrote:

//Hi Folks,
//
//We (the committee) are conducting a planning day very soon (in the next
//week).
//
//I would like to get an idea of people's views & opinions on certain
//issues.
//
//Feel free to respond to this to the list, to me in private, or to
//someone on the committee list.
//
//This info will be used to help us form strategies for MW's future.
//
//Vaskos
//-----------------
//
//
//1) In 25 words or less, describe what draws you to wireless in general ?

largely that it offers communities a self managed and mobile platform for distributing information; in the senses of geographic mobility,  economic and political independence.

//
//2) What do you want & expect Melbourne Wireless to do for you ?
//
provide pretty much what you do already. provide a forum for learning and discussing the technology. the cheap hw is a great bonus..

//3) What expectations do you have of the MW committee ?

i suppose organising wireless related events throughout the year.
also representing, pushing and promoting policies that encourage a sustained independence of wireless networking as a public technology.

//
//4) Where do you see MW being in 12 months ? 24 months ?
//
no idea

//5) What are the major problems/hurdles MW is currently facing ?

no idea

//
//6) What is the major hinderance to getting your (or other people's)
//nodes up ?

not having access to my roof - the top floor owns it [damned city living].

//
//7) If MW owned Access points around Melbourne, would it be incentive
//enough to join the network ?
//

yes, as long as it was free. otherwise it may be no better than commercial providers.

//8) Are you happy with Melbourne Wireless in general ?

yes, though i am a bit of a lurker

//
//9) Is there anything Melbourne Wireless can do to improve ?

maybe a subsection in the site focusing on wireless and wireless security for linux users.

//
//10) Anything you might like to add.
//
//