[MLB-WIRELESS] Q: What do people want from Melbourne Wireless ?

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Thu Mar 6 14:25:35 EST 2003

> We (the committee) are conducting a planning day very soon
> (in the next
> week).
>
> I would like to get an idea of people's views & opinions on certain
> issues.
>
> Feel free to respond to this to the list, to me in private, or to
> someone on the committee list.

OK, I've got nothing to hide. :-)

> 1) In 25 words or less, describe what draws you to wireless
> in general ?

Cool, radio based networking technology...  Just made for a ham radio
networking geek LOL

> 2) What do you want & expect Melbourne Wireless to do for you ?

Provide a clearinghouse for information relating to wireless, liaise with
other interest groups (industry, Government (all levels as needed), other
community groups, other related hobby interests).  Manage issues that affect
the whole network (address allocation, broad level network standards -
detailed topology most lilely to be self-determining).

> 3) What expectations do you have of the MW committee ?

Manage MW administration (finance, confirm meeting dates), represent MW in
official capacity to external organisations as needed.

> 4) Where do you see MW being in 12 months ? 24 months ?

Hard to say, this is a dynamic area.  In some ways, MW has exceeded
expectations, though on the ground, there is still little in the way of
broad scale network connectivity.

> 5) What are the major problems/hurdles MW is currently facing ?

Technically, the limitations of WiFi and the fact that mesh type technology
isn't yet readily available.

Organisationally, we are still feeling our feet a bit (though having
achieved a bit already).  This will pass in time.

> 6) What is the major hinderance to getting your (or other people's)
> nodes up ?

Low node density.

> 7) If MW owned Access points around Melbourne, would it be incentive
> enough to join the network ?

Depends solely on location! :-)

> 8) Are you happy with Melbourne Wireless in general ?

Overall, yes.

> 9) Is there anything Melbourne Wireless can do to improve ?

I'll tell you when they come to mind! :)

> 10) Anything you might like to add.

I feel there's good opportunity for MW to work with other related interest
groups (examples include hams and APANA).  There's quite a bit of overlap
out there, and each group can help each other.