[MLB-WIRELESS] Hypothetical: takedown notices

Simon Butcher pickle at alien.net.au
Tue Mar 4 15:04:39 EST 2003

<snip>
> On teh other hand, MW does not won the individual node the
> offending material
> is on.  so the take down notice need be directed to the individual in
> question.  this may simplify (out of MWs hands) or complicate
> (fear of being
> squashed as an individual) things.
<snip>

Since MW has no way to control the data flowing over the mesh (there is
no clearly defined central singularity for which data must flow through
to monitor/block), I'd say any take-down notice would need to be
directed towards the node owner themselves.

The pirate trade is inevitable on the MW mesh, especially when you
consider the interest developed from the gaming community (sorry guys,
but of all the heavy gamers I know, they all trade warez insanely, and
all want to get on MW for gaming and pirating :)..

One thing which may effect MW is the disconnection of a node from the MW
network - how could that possibly be done, considering there is no
requirement for connected nodes to authenticate themselves and/or be MW
members? Revoking IP allocations & routing wouldn't stop it entirely..

It's a problem inherent with a completely open and free network, IMHO.
It would be nice if node owners were required to be a paid up member to
be connected, from the point of view of financially maintaining the
organisation. However, that would kill the open/free nature of the
network :(

 - Simon