OT: APANA and melbwireless, was Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] Re: GLL To GLO Ta GHO

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Wed Jun 18 13:03:33 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 11:05, rik wrote:
> i thought non profit shareing was legal as aca's requirements
>
> its only his isp
>
> and apana doesnt offer unlimited data and the speeds alot of us like for our
> home connections

<APANA promotion mode>

APANA doesn't offer unlimited data because it doesn't scale. APANA is a
NPO (non profit organisation) that sets its fees to cover it's costs. It
actively supports members sharing their connections between each other.
Volume fees are a fair way to distribute costs between members that
allows the organisation to scale up with the traffic requirements.

Note that APANA Melbourne has the infrastructure to allow sites to "pass
on" the volume billing to downstream sites. ie;

APANA <--DOV--> site A <--wireless--> site B

APANA can bill site B directly for all the traffic it receives via site
A, so site A doesn't have to do his own traffic accounting etc to figure
out how much of his APANA bill site B should pay.

Most ISP's that offer unlimited data do it with "not to be shared" and
"no servers" clauses... which is a way try and ensure you don't actually
use unlimited data. If everyone actually used the "unlimited data" they
were "entitled" to, all these offers would be very quickly introducing
3G volume limits (hmm... where have I heard that before).

APANA Melbourne has recently dropped it's prices a fair bit and Telstra
has some special offers on ISDN Home. For details see;

http://www.melb.apana.org.au/fees.html

</APANA promotion mode>

--
Donovan Baarda <abo at minkirri.apana.org.au>