[MLB-WIRELESS] GDW -> GHO

Rowan Crowe rowan at sensation.net.au
Tue Jun 10 16:22:40 EST 2003

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Richard Van Orsouw wrote:

> Ok, must have something to do with sliding windows, and 3 way handshakes,
> must try adjusting ttl timers and the like.

TCP is fairly robust unless there is a lot of packet loss. I don't think
latency is your problem, TCP can still push through data at a reasonably
consistent rate even if it's through an overloaded 56k modem @4000ms
latency.

Try something like...

ping -c 200 -f -s 1460 <destination>

This will flood 200 packets of size 1460 bytes (plus IP+ICMP header) as
fast as possible to the other end. Over a wired LAN, there should be 0%
packet loss. I'm not sure what a typical result would be for a wireless
connection, but if you have more than about 5-10% loss then TCP will start
stalling and misbehaving...

Cheers.

--
Rowan Crowe - Melbourne, Australia