[MLB-WIRELESS] Enterasys AP and Firmware Question

Jamie Lovick jalovick at doof.org
Thu Jul 24 17:22:18 EST 2003

Hi,

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Ryan Abbenhuys wrote:

> Ok, i've been mucking around with a couple of Enterasys CSIWS-A
> Access Points for a while now.  Trying to see what firmware updates
> can be done.  It appears to me, that the actual AP firmware, flashes
> it's own firmware onto the wireless cards RAM when it's inserted.
> I'm thinking this because no matter what card I put into the AP, be
> it Enterasys with 6.06, 6.04. 6.08 or Orinoco with 8.72, the Access
> Point management software always reports the cards firmware as being
> "HW=V4.00, Primary FW=V4.04".
>
> If it's any use, the AP's firmware is "HW=V2.2, RO=V1.7, SW=6.04.12"
>
> Can anyone confirm or deny my conclusion.
>
> This unit was probably sold as an Orinoco unit too with a different
> model name.

If you have a look on the cards in a PC under the diagnostic, you'll
notice there is Primary and Secondary firmware. The Secondary firmware
is the only one that you can update.

Check the Primary version number, you'll probably find it is the same as
the one that the AP reports. It may load it's own secondary firmware the
same as the newer drivers do, but it may be using the firmware and not
reporting it, as it seems that the AP doesn't report the details of the
secondary firmware.

If it does upload its own firmware, you may have to update the firmare
on the AP.

Regards

Jamie

--
Jamie Lovick    <->  IT Consultant    <-> +614 1479 1681
Hobby     : Doof.org                   -> jalovick at doof.org
Director  : Drastic Solutions Pty Ltd  -> jalovick at drasticsolutions.com.au
----- Public Relations Officer - the Australian Wireless Association -----