[MLB-WIRELESS] Omni antenna design question

Winder winder at iinet.net.au
Wed Jul 23 22:40:43 EST 2003

Howdy,

 Got another question for the RF gurus on the list about the home made
antenna at: http://guerrilla.net/reference/antennas/2ghz_collinear_omni/

 My question is related to the N Connector and length of its coax. In the
"Decoupling and RF Connector Assembly:" section they say that they "we
solder the braid of the coax to the end of the brass tubing 1/4 wavelength
up from the end of the N connector"

 My question is how important is having the N connector 1/4 wave length from
the brass tube bit? I didn't think it would be much of a big deal to have
the connector a foot or two away on a longer bit of coax?

 Also, I take it just adding elements (I'm guessing in lots of two) would
increase the gain?

Regards,
g at z.