[MLB-WIRELESS] Netstumbler query

Michael Carey mcarey4 at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jul 16 19:06:42 EST 2003

Hi Everybody,
Sorry for the long email but........
I have been having some grief with Netstumbler of late and have drawn a
blank. So I thought I would ask the collective knowledge of wirless gurus at
Melbourne Wireless.
A friend asked to borrow my Orinoco Silver card and external magnetic
antenna for a bit of a 'stumble last week. No problem I thought and he
promptly collected before mentioned items.
Later, when asking him how things went, he told me my card is crap!!
Aghast, I prompted him for further information.
It seems that my Orinoco card just plain ol' cannot see some access points!!
He has a laptop with XP and a D-Link PCCard (no external antenna) and he
found six access points that the Orinoco card (which is supposed to be the
one for netstumbler) cannot see!!
Of course I tried my other PCCard and found that indeed he was correct.  I
even found that I now cannot see some access points that I had no trouble
with before. What is going on??
My laptop is W2K SP3, Orinoco firmware 8.72, client S/W 7.6 (I think).
Has anyone out there in Melb Wireless land had problems with this??
Regards,
Michael Carey (bruised head from banging on the desk!)