[MLB-WIRELESS] xDSL to Regional and Interstate nodes. - Melbourne growth or lack thereof - Public thanks

Winder winder at iinet.net.au
Thu Jul 10 17:57:50 EST 2003

Well said Ryan.

 Thanks you for putting up with people such as myself that are learning the
ins and outs of wireless networks and leaky antennas. Sorry for pestering
you about problems at your end, when most of the time it was my end with the
joys of water, silicon, tape and microwaves and cheap antennas

 I too wanted to provide services for people to use, but didn't factor in
the use of Linux. Sorry, I'm a windows user from way back. I've tried to
learn it but frankly Linux pisses me off greatly. I see it as never really
making it onto the average users desktop if they have to install it
themselves. Make? Make install, make config, edit, config, install, compile,
debug.... no thanks. install.exe thanks. I want to get involved but having
to learn a new OS to the level of a support expert just puts me off.

 I would much rather just buy an off the shelf AP / router that I can
configure to do the basic routing that we need, and then just plug systems
into it to offer services. But at the same time, I don't want to pay for an
expensive Cisco router when the whole idea was a free network (ok, with
limited hardware costs etc, but I'm not that rich).

 It's not as simple as it seems, not as cheap as first thought and I'm
wondering how many other people have the same thoughts, and if it has lead
to the lack of progress and the uptake in DSL.

 I think that if people did not drive it like you are doing, we would have
even less progress than what we have today. You got my vote... oh, and you
got my boxen too. Thanks :)

Regards,
g at z.