[MLB-WIRELESS] Fw: A $1 wager: Wireless "warchalking" does not exist

Barry Park bpark at theage.fairfax.com.au
Thu Jul 3 16:18:04 EST 2003

It's all a myth, guys.
- Barry

----- Original Message -----
From: "Declan McCullagh" <declan at well.com>
To: <politech at politechbot.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 11:53 PM
Subject: FC: A $1 wager: Wireless "warchalking" does not exist

> ----- Forwarded message from jeremy hunsinger <jhuns at vt.edu> -----
>
> From: jeremy hunsinger <jhuns at vt.edu>
> Subject: Warchalking does not exist: a wager.
> To: cypherpunks
> Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 12:01:50 -0400
>
> Forwarded for a colleague:
>

> For background, Warchalking is the use of symbols (marked with chalk) to
> indicate the presence of a Wi-Fi hotspot.  In pure form, the story of
> warchalking is that there is a subculture of Wi-Fi users that use chalk
> communicate with each other about Wi-Fi locations.  Hip/cool businesses
> then
> co-opted the subcultural warchalking to advertise their own hotspots.
> More
> at:  http://www.warchalking.org/
>
> My contention is that the first (subcultural) story about warchalking
> above
> is entirely a media phenomenon -- it is a beautiful idea, but it doesn't
> make any sense as a directory service to find Wi-Fi.  It is too easy to
> miss
> a warchalk mark, and the chalk wears away (or washes away in the rain)
> too
> quickly.  Warchalking symbols were heavily promoted in the New York
> Times
> just *48 hours* after they were first made public on the Web.  There
> was a
> subsequent wave of media stories about warchalking, giving everyone
> ideas.
> Every single occurrence of chalk I've found can be attributed to
> chalkers
> who want to self-promote their own mark.  So I believe that people *do*
> rarely make warchalking marks for various reasons (to be cool, to
> advertise
> for their own network) but I *don't* believe that people use warchalking
> marks in a meaningful way to find Wi-Fi.
>
> After the conversation with Steve, on December 18th I posted an call to
> many
> colleagues around the world asking for verifiable instances of
> warchalking
> that work the way that warchalking describes itself.  Reports to date:
> zero.  If warchalking worked as a directory location service, shouldn't
> I be
> able to find it?
>
> I just had a close call -- a friend told me that my office at Oxford had
> been warchalked.  Since it is a WEP (non-open) node and I didn't do it,
> this
> could be half of a "true" instance of warchalking!  I ran out as soon
> as I
> heard but couldn't find the mark.  It must have washed away?  (Here in
> England, it is raining.)
>
> So I am willing to propose a wager, or a bounty.  I'll bet one dollar
> that
> warchalking is not a meaningful way of locating Wi-Fi hotspots.  To win
> the
> [...]

The information contained in this e-mail message and any accompanying files is or may be confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient, any use, dissemination, reliance, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail or any attached files is unauthorised. This e-mail is subject to copyright. No part of it should be reproduced, adapted or communicated without the written consent of the copyright owner. If you have received this e-mail in error, please advise the sender immediately by return e-mail, or telephone and delete all copies. Fairfax does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained in this e-mail or attached files. Internet communications are not secure, therefore Fairfax does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message or attached files.