[MLB-WIRELESS] applied telysyn "at-mc16"

paul van den bergen pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
Wed Jan 29 17:58:55 EST 2003

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 05:45 pm, Rowan Crowe wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Kym Michael wrote:
> > There is a box of applied telysyn "at-mc16" and similar converters at an
> > auction tomorrow.
> >
> > Is this a good thing to buy to get around 100m cat5 limits. Should I buy
> > them?... how much?.
> >
> > Detail: from
> > http://www.alliedtelesyn.co.uk/webmaster3/files/allied/Website/ProductSup
> >portDocs/Document/at10724c.pdf
>
> Oatley Electronics were selling these - or similar units - a while back
> for about $70 each, from memory. I was toying with the idea of hanging a
> fibre optic cable over the neighbour's fence. :)
>
> I'd guess that you would run into similar propagation delay and collision
> issues as you would with long wired cable, but if you run it through a
> switch port (or dedicated cards at each end) then that should work...
>
> Cheers.

if one is running a single node to single node connection, couldn't you have 2
pcs, each with 2 NICs, and set up a routing loop so that traffic is one way
only... then no collisions, no contention, very high speed.

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures
pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
IM:bulwynkl2002
Gnuru in training: Trancend the Geek