[MLB-WIRELESS] public *internet* access

Rowan Crowe rowan at sensation.net.au
Fri Jan 24 15:02:12 EST 2003

Has anyone heard about the concrete legalities of offering noncommercial
internet access yet? Last time I emailed the ACA they said they were
preparing a document on this issue. I proposed two scenarios:

1. No cost at all to people who can see the AP and connect. Completely
funded by the operator.

2. Ongoing cost shared by a closed group of people, eg 10 people sharing a
$99/mo unlimited perm account = $9.90/mo each. "Closed group" meaning that
in order to gain access you need to be explicitly configured as a user.

With large ISPs like iinet offering 100% flat rate DSL starting at around
$50/mo, the future is looking a lot brighter.

I'm also interested in experimenting with Squid caching and peer queries -
this is where my Squid shoots off a small query to your Squid asking "do
you have this object already cached?" - if so then it gets pulled from
your Squid over the free WLAN link, rather than through the internet link.

I ran an ISP for 5 years. I'm itching to get back into networking and
access provision... :)

Cheers.

--
Rowan Crowe - Melbourne, Australia