[MLB-WIRELESS] Cat5 max length

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Thu Jan 23 23:46:46 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-23 at 22:56, Peter Hall wrote:

> [...]

I'm sure someone else can probably answer this better than me, but it's
to do with collision detection. I'm not 100% sure that all hubs actually
do regenerate and retime the signal, but in any case the problem is not
signal degradation.

The longest propagation time must be less than the packet transmission
time, otherwise you can't guarantee that collisions can be detected.

I believe this is the reason 100Mbps has a shorter range than 10Mbps,
and 1Gbps relies on jumbo-packet sizes to get anywhere at all.

example; nodes A and B are at extreme ends of an ethernet segment. Both
nodes start transmitting at the same time to node C in the middle. To
detect if there is a collision, they both listen at the same time as
transmitting. If both nodes finish transmitting their packets before the
start of the packet reaches the other end, neither of them see a
collision and think the packets were successfully transmitted. Meanwhile
node C in the middle gets garbage.

A switch handles the collision resolution, so each connection to a hub
behaves as a separate ethernet segment as far as collision resolution is
concerned.

ABO: finger abo at minkirri.apana.org.au for more info, including pgp key