Stealth access points (was Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] Approaching parties)

Grant McHerron grant at taoceti.com.au
Thu Jan 23 12:30:48 EST 2003

At 11:48 AM 23/01/03, John Dalton wrote:
>I've always dreamed about a radio controlled helicopter combined
>with a 'limpet' access point.

Not a bad concept

>Use some sort of hovering platform (only needs to have a flight time
>of a couple of minutes) to get the access point near enough
>to an elevated steel object that it sticks.  Bingo.

You've never tried to fly a remote control helicopter, have you.... :)

I have one and I'm learning how to fly it. While I don't have my real
helicopter license (yet :) I have had a go at the controls of the "real
thing" a couple of times and the remote control one is harder than the real
thing (although you don't care quite as much if you prang it :)

Worst bit is when you sweat at multiple sessions for a whole arvo just to
try and get the damned thing to hover in one spot and move around a bit,
then one of the uber-champs comes along and has his hyper-performance job
flying inverted, doing loops and generally showing how it should be done...

Still, it's a wonderful feeling when you get it right... :)

Cheers,

Grant

Grant McHerron
Tao Ceti Pty Ltd

Level 1, 530 Little Collins St, Melbourne VIC 3000, Australia
Ph: +61 3 9909 7067             Fax: +61 3 9228 3257
http://www.taoceti.com.au       grant at taoceti.com.au