[MLB-WIRELESS] Interstate meshing

Stygen stygen at wafreenet.org
Wed Jan 15 18:27:47 EST 2003

Mailing lists are for discussion IMHO, not decision making.  So I am not
surprised you didn't get the feeling of people jumping up and down to
volunteer for anything.

Armed with information you could do a couple of things..

1) visit http://www.wafreenet.org/?page=network to look for a few ideal
candidates for a VPN tunnel.  There is a connection map linked from that
page too.  It needs a bit of work, but at least gives some structural
information that could be of use.

2) use the nodeDB ( http://www.nodedb.com/australia/wa/perth/? ) to look
for contact details for the AP you are interested in setting up a link
with.  Or follow links to the AP homepage (if they have one) to look for
contact details there.

3) Be aware of wafreenet etiquette (outlined here..
http://www.wafreenet.org/AP/citrusnet/pages/wafreenet.html ).  Basically
you should set up tunnels with the actual AP, rather than a client of an
AP.

[This is for WaFreeNet, I am sure the ideal procedure for other states
would be similar.]

This would be much more effective than using a public forum to set
something up.  You will also find people are more helpful when contacted
directly by someone who knows what they are talking about.

It is posible to setup irc only links right now, such traffic is only
very small, and even if the traffic is not free, it is not enough to
worry about.  IRC channels where only users of free wireless networks
are permitted to join, are very informative.  A lot more would be
achieved than using public forums.

-Stygen