[MLB-WIRELESS] Antenna Overlap

Fenn Bailey fenn_b at smktech.com.au
Wed Jan 15 16:53:51 EST 2003

The easiest way to think of it (and I hope I'm right with this), is that
antenna gain is bi-directional.

eg: It will boost the power of signal you are transmitting out of it AND
the power of the signal coming into it by the same amount.

Due to that (in the situation you describe), your directional not only
beams a focused RF beam to your omni, but also focuses the 'faint'
signal from the omni in exactly the same way.

There has been some talk of some cisco wireless devices that can bind
one antenna to send and the other to receive (NOT diversity), so you
could put the maximum legal antenna on the send side (to acheive your 4W
EIRP) and a HUMUNGOUS dish on the receive side (think radio-telescope
size), and get really long distances.

How practical this is, I don't know, but it would be fun to try :)

    Fenn.