[MLB-WIRELESS] Orinoco Silver to AP mode

paul van den bergen pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
Fri Jan 10 09:20:23 EST 2003

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003 07:01 pm, Simon Butcher wrote:
> Hi :)
>
> > OK, looks like (IIUC) AP + bridging ?!?

snip

> Before I get confused by the plethora of acronyms, all it really means
> is that you can cover a larger area with multiple AP's using a wired
> ethernet connection to link the AP's, all within the same logical
> network segment.

snip

> So, uhh, yes, I suppose you could say it's just another sort of ethernet
> bridging, since ESS inherently provides segmentation of traffic on the
> one logical network segment.
>
> It increases mobility because stations can seamlessly move between BSS's
> existing within the one ESS, but there's no rule which says BSS coverage
> between BSS's needs to overlap to construct the ESS (since packets are
> sent between access points through the DS, not the WM).
>
>  - Simon
>
> P.S.
>   I hope that made sense :)

Perfectly...so could you just go over the bit about wireless again...???? how
does that work??? :-P

(seriously, thanks...)

another way to see it would be VLANs for frames (layer 2) :-)

and mobility issues are not touched here (IIUC, fast handover is the main
bugbear of mobility...)

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures
pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
IM:bulwynkl2002
would somebody get this big walking carpet out of my way?