[MLB-WIRELESS]Wireless experiments-Melb WISP

Matt Pearce mattpearce at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jan 7 11:52:26 EST 2003

Correct me if I am wrong, but in order to do repeating you will need more
expensive equipment (say a DLink AP capable of repeating, and that costs
more money, who pays for this ??), but then that halves the bandwith
everytime you do, the more you repeat the less speed comes down the line to
you etc etc, combine this with a lot of other people running 802.11b/g gear
and in the future unless something dramatic changes your internet connection
will be as good as useless, and you will basically loose your $330 install
fee.  While I do realise there prices are ok, they according to whirlpool
they have 100 active subscribers at the moment with interest from 4000 more
people, you do the maths and its not going to be very pretty I can assure
you.

While I could be wrong, only time will tell.  If things do change it wont be
in a hurry and as most of you are aware that we are still waiting on 802.11g
to get here, let alone another standard that makes up for lack of channels
and other things.

My 2 cents anyways.

Matt.