[MLB-WIRELESS]Wireless experiments-Melb WISP

paul van den bergen pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
Mon Jan 6 10:36:41 EST 2003

I have admired alphalink for a number of years.  they have done a lot of
things right.  I figure this is a brave move on their part and given they are
one of the best supported and user friendly ISP's in the state I think they
sould be applauded.

on the other hand, I think you are right.  wireless will saturate at just
below satisfactory service levels (we will find this too) resulting in
shrinking transmit cells.  the problem with directionals from their point of
view is likely cost.  And they still have to omni the supply side.  also,
heirarchical network.  perhaps a melb wireless style mesh with service
provision via IPSec would be a better model.

BTW, anyone hanging around swinburne hawthorn see if they can see
"caia-linksys" SSID AP???  I suspect not, but it is on my desk (192.168.1.251
- which doesn't help as it blocks all but selected mac addresses. perhaps
gimme your mac addie and I will add it - it doesn't connect to anything at
the moment, I am just wondering if we are visible at the moment.)

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003 10:26 am, Matt Pearce wrote:
> It might also be of interest to people that Alphalink are now offering
> Wireless ISP services in some of the inner city suburbs.  While I think the
> concept is a good idea, they have no control over who else connects a
> wireless lan up in the area, and with the limited number of channels I am
> sure they will run into problems soon.  Also in saying this it looks like
> they are using the 8dbi omni's from the TIB a while ago to put onto clients
> house, I also dont think this is a very good idea due to the nature of an
> omni (sending the signal everywhere and not focused where it needs to go).
>
> Alphalink also do not guarantee this service, and also say that while you
> can get up to about 500KB/sec from it if there is basically no one else on
> the link, no interferance etc.
>
> For more info go to http://wireless.alphalink.com.au
>
> What does everyone else think ??
>
> Matt

Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures
caia.swin.edu.au
pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
IM:bulwynkl2002
would somebody get this big walking carpet out of my way?