[MLB-WIRELESS] Balloon AP (AKA fire in the night sky)

Rowan Crowe rowan at sensation.net.au
Fri Jan 3 13:17:24 EST 2003

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, John Dalton wrote:

> I wonder if it would work to fly a metallic foil balloon (say a plastic envelope
> with a very thin foil coating on the inside aka. silver party balloon?) on an
> insulating tether and use it as a reflector?  All the electronics, including
> the antenna, would be on the ground.

This reminds me of something I was watching a couple of days ago:

http://www.archive.org/movies/details-db.php?collection=prelinger&collectionid=05093

The first communications satellite in space - a huge metal lined balloon!

This is a short film from 1960 available in electronic form via prelinger
archives (http://www.archive.org/movies/prelinger.php)

Cheers.

--
Rowan Crowe - Melbourne, Australia