[MLB-WIRELESS] RF noise reduction

Matt matthew.c.boyd at uts.edu.au
Wed Feb 19 08:53:34 EST 2003

Just a thought I was having the other day,
standard bit here about noise increasing over time as more people take up
wireless....
Instead of trying to get around this by getting a higher gain antenna
(which then creates noise further away for someone else) if I can get a
link up with an 8db omni, the link is say East of me, am I going to screw
up my reception if I surround the north/south/west sides of the antenna
with something RF absorbing (I'm thinking a plastic of some sort). Perhaps
this could be used to reduce the received as well as transmitted noise and
help make an antenna more directional without increasing the gain.

I know you'd be covering a smaller area but if it worked then it would be
possible to put an extra device in and use the same frequency (useful for
sites with good LOS and multiple links).

I'm wondering if it would screw up the cards (can't really see any hassles
if its absorbing and not reflecting the signal), or if by removing part of
the  radiation pattern the rest of the pattern would get messed up as well.

Anyone got tips?

Matt