[MLB-WIRELESS] Cat 5 Problem

Ben Ryan ben at bssc.edu.au
Tue Feb 18 14:48:37 EST 2003

> Hey all,
> Short story, 35m of cat 5, should be running at 100mb, XP wont recognise it
> unless I set the secondary machine to 10mb.  Primary can remain at 100.
> There is a switch in the middle.  This works fine...
> It's only 35m so there couldn't be that much loss or whatever it's called on
> ethernet.
> I want 100 to 100

Check your pairings on the cable.
Incorrect pair/pin selection can prevent you from being able to communicate at
100 mbit. Even if the lights are on, packets don't seem to be received.
Check the colour-pin connections in the plug against a standard.

Also, almost always, autonegotiate is a BAD BAD idea.
Manually specify the speed at both ends - pref 100/Full Duplex.

there are two (?!) main standards.

With tab facing down, cable on your end and the plug-end away,
using T568B (my pref) you should see (left-to-right)

Orange/White  Orange  Green  Blue  Blue/White  Green  Brown/White  Brown
  pin1        pin2     pin3   pin4   pin5       pin6    pin7        pin8

hth,
(don't trip on the standards ;))

ben